The Department of Kayachikitsa R.G.G.P.G.Ayu. College, Paprola was upgraded to Post Graduate level in 1998 when M.D (Ay.) Kayachikitsa was first started in college with the central Grant- in- Aid. Six scholars were admitted in M.D (Kayachikitsa) that year and since then every year six (6) scholars (3 from state of H.P & 3 from All India basis) are admitted to this course. Till date 23 batches have passed out from the Department and the students of these batches are successfully engaged in government as well as private Ayurvedic services as teachers, researchers and clinicians.
The Department has six (6) sanctioned teaching posts (Professors-2, Readers-2, Senior Lecturers –1, Lecturer-1) out of which presently five (5) posts are filled.
Professor-2- Dr. Vijay Chaudhary & Dr. Anjana Mishra
Professor – 1 – Dr. Sunil Thakur
Lecturer – 1- Dr. Manik Soni
AMO for Teaching Purpose – Dr. Geetika Dharmani
All the teachers are post Graduate in Kayachikitsa and some teachers are holding Ph.D degree. Besides this, two (2) tenure based House Physicians are also sanctioned with the department. Department has been provided with the facility of Lab Attendant. The working of the Department at P.G. level can be classified under three heads:
- Academic activities.
- Clinical activities.
- Research related activities.
- Academic activities: The academic activities of department consist of regular class room teaching for BAMS and M.D. Kayachikitsa classes as well as clinical presentation and seminars. Clinical teaching is also held for BAMS and M.D. Classes. Besides this the department organizes regular seminars. Regular academic and clinical discussions are an important field of activity of the department. It is mandatory for every student to attend 75% of lecturers delivered to appear in university examination. M.D (1st year) Kayachikitsa scholars are given a chance to work with Kayachikitsa emergency, Indoor, E.C.G Lab, Biochemistry Lab, X-ray & Ultra sound Lab & Panchkarma section of the hospital to make them familiar with the working of these important wings of the hospital. Students of Post Graduate classes are given encouragement to attend various national level Conferences, Seminars and Workshops. Teachers of Faculty are also invited to various Academic Seminars, Conferences and Seminars of National and International Level as experts. Teaching of Under Graduate and Post Graduate classes is broad based and is not confined to syllabus only. Adequate knowledge of contemporary medical sciences is also given to students.
- Clinical activities: Department of Kayachikitsa is allotted 60 beds in the affiliated hospital of the college. It also maintains its independent TMT, E.C.G., E.E.G. and Spirometry Lab. The Department has got two O.P.D’s which are jointly managed by consultants and scholars.
The consultants of the department attend to the medical referrals of other departments and 24 hour emergency and I.C.U services of the Kayachikitsa Department are being maintained with the help of Department residents of MD IInd & IIIrd year.
The consultants of the Department also take part in various medical and specialties camps organized by the Institution as well as various N.G.Os’ and government bodies.
The clinical facilities and infrastructures is being maintained and efforts are being made to update it for adequate clinical training of trainee M.D (Kayachikitsa) Scholars. M.D (Kayachikitsa) scholars are also involved in clinical teaching of B.A.M.S Final year students and also undertake theory teaching of said class.
- Research Related Activities: Research project is an important component of M.D (Ay.) Kayachikitsa IInd and III rd year. So for Department has completed 120 clinical research projects which were part of M.D (Kayachikitsa) thesis and 12 other projects are under the stage of evaluation. Major fields of research activities of the department are Diabetes, Hypertension, Arthritis, Obesity and other Non Communicable diseases, APD, IBS, Metabolic Syndrome, etc.
Space: 1. HOD Room with attached toilet.
2. Professor’s Room.
3. Reader’s Room.
4. Lecturers room.
5. Seminar room cum Departmental Library
6. Case Presentation cum Tutorial room.
7. ECG Lab.
8. TMT lab.
9. E.E.G. Lab
10. Resident’s duty Room, etc.